We have been going to Branson for over 30 years and we still go to SDC at least twice a year. One of those times is always to see the lights at Christmas time. The 5 million glistening lights and over a 100 decorated trees is sure to put even the biggest scrooge into the Christmas Spirit! It is very popular the rest of the year also. It is a 1880s theme park with rides, crafts, and live entertainment shows, so there is something for every member of the family from the youngest to the oldest.
Now for my tips while at your Branson vacation rentals:
- Check the daily schedule to make sure it is open and the hours of operation on the day you are planning to attend. Their days and hours vary according to the season and the weather. Be aware that some rides will not be open if there is lightning in the area. They now have an app for those of you with smart phones & tablets called SD City where you can find the schedule and a map of the park.
- Dress comfortably in layers and wear your most comfortable shoes.
- Bring a stroller even if your child does not use it much anymore, I guarantee you they are going to get tired of walking.
- Make sure you bring your camera, sunscreen and emergency rain gear.
- Arriving early gives you the best chance to ride the most popular attractions before the big crowds and long lines set in. The Square is open an hour before the park actually opens and breakfast is served. The Powder Keg and the new Outlaw Run seem to be the favorites. Make sure the sound track is working on Powder Keg before you ride it – that’s part of the fun!
- Some rides are limited by height requirements so check these before your young ones get too set on a particular ride.
- Save the water rides and a tour of Marvel Cave for the afternoon when it gets hot, instant air-conditioning!
- The tour of Marvel Cave is included with the park admission and should NOT be missed. It does require a lot of stair climbing, nearly 600, so it is only for the physically fit (no strollers). It lasts about 60 minutes.
- The food is very good and you will want to sample some of the skillets and desserts. However, if your budget is an issue, pack a backpack full of snacks. There are lockers scattered around the park and for 50 cents you can store them in a central location to be used on your breaks from the activity. Then, grill a great dinner when you return to your Branson vacation rentals.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early for the most popular shows to be sure and get a seat.
Silver Dollar City’s charm is in the details. Be sure to read the vintage signs, check out the landmarks, stop in shops and ask the artisans questions, watch for street performances, and sample foods you’ve never tried before. It’s all part of the fun while you are at your Branson vacation rentals!
Latest posts by Darla Brower (see all)
- Branson Christmas Tradition-Begin One Now - 12/14/2016
- Cabin Rentals in Branson MO Celebrate the Holidays Family Style - 11/06/2016
- Relaxing Fall Fireplace Cabins In Branson - 10/14/2016